How to Make Continuous Brewing Kombucha at HomeCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
4000 mL water
200 grams sugar
4-6 black tea bags
1 large or a few small kombucha SCOBYs
1-2 gallon glass jar with spigot
- Wash your fermentation equipment well. Gather all your ingredients. Start boiling about 3 liters of water in a large pot. Also, boil 1 liter of water separately.
- Set your scale on a flat surface and set it to weigh in grams. Place bowl on scale and tare/zero the scale. Measure 200 grams of sugar.
- Mix sugar with 3 liters of boiling water.
- Mix tea bags with 1 liter of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes.
- Combine tea concentrate with sugar water. Let sit until the liquid cools to room temperature.
Once the mixture is cooled, pour it into the large dispenser with a spigot. (be sure to check and make sure the spigot is properly sealed and closed before pouring in the mixture).
- Add the kombucha SCOBY(s) and allow to ferment for 5 to 7 days.
- At this point you can refrigerate and enjoy a “still” kombucha or you can move to secondary fermentation to add additional flavors and carbonation. To do this, transfer liquid into pressure-safe swing top bottles, add pasteurized fruit juice and ferment for 3-5 days at room temperature. The final result will be a slightly fizzy kombucha. Refrigerate bottles and enjoy cold!