Make your own naturally sparkling fermented beverages at home with this wild fermented ginger bug. Simply delicious.
How to Make a Wild Fermented Ginger Bug at HomeCourse: Fermented DrinksCuisine: EnglishDifficulty: Easy
Make your own naturally sparkling fermented beverages at home with this wild fermented ginger bug. Simply delicious. This recipe calls for measuring in grams, which requires a kitchen scale. Don’t have one? This is the Escali Digital Food Scale that I use now. I love it!
50 grams fresh ginger, grated
50 mL filtered water
5 grams cane sugar or raw local honey
2 grams sea salt
- Wash and sanitize fermentation equipment (a splash of cheap vodka will do the trick).
- Set your scale on a flat surface and set it to weigh in grams.
- Add 50 grams fresh grated ginger.
- Add 50 mL filtered water.
- Add 5 grams cane sugar or raw local honey.
- Add 2 grams sea salt.
- Mix well and cover with a breathable cloth and a rubber band. Allow to ferment for 24 hours at room temperature. After 24 hours, feed your ginger bug.
- To Feed the Ginger Bug:
- In a fresh jar, add 50 grams of the ginger bug, 25 grams freshly grated ginger, 3 grams of sugar or raw local honey, and 35 grams of water.
- Allow to ferment for 24 hours. Feed every 24 hours until ginger bug is bubbling and very active.
- Once your ginger bug is active and bubbling, you can proceed to primary and secondary fermentations to make your very own homemade sparkling sodas!
- Don’t forget to take pictures and please share your creations with us @beniciafermentory